Forge seem to be getting a bit of momentum these days. I get inquires about where to get help about Forge from various directions. It’s not always clear where to go to get help, is it? So here it is, I’m listing a few options to get help when you are developing with Forge API.
There are basically five options as far as I’m aware of. But not everything may apply to you; depending on the type of API and your subscription level, you may or may not be entitled to have an additional support channel:
- stackoverflow – popular forum among developers. Use with a forge tag. (See below if you don’t know how to use tags). Open to anybody.
- Forge Help e-mail – send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to anybody.
- BIM 360 API Forum – this is limited to BIM 360 API only. Open to anybody.
- Autodesk Developer Network or SFDC DevHelp Online – ADN member only site.
- Autodesk Customer Support – Enterprise Priority Support and Advanced Support subscribers are entitled to receive API support.
The first one, stackoverflow, is the most preferable method as Forge team is monitoring directly. Going through ADN and Customer Support adds extra detour before your question reaches to the Forge focused team as Product Support and ADN team will need to escalate the question to the Forge team.
If you are not familiar with stackoverflow and its tagging, the best route will be:
- go to developer.autodesk.com.
- from the pull-down menu: Support >> Get Help
- This will bring you to Get Help page. Choose the type of API, and SEARCH:
- This will bring you to the stackoverflow with a right tag:
For example, the above shows stakoverflow with “autodesk-viewer” tag, e.g.:
You can also find right tags by going to “Tags” menu on stackoverflow page. Then, in “Type to find tags:” text box, type “autodesk-“. This will list all the tags starting with “autodesk-“. Choose an appropriate tag for your question from there:
I hope this tells you where to go to get help with Forge API questions.