I’m happy to inform you that the latest update for Forge Data Management (DM) includes important enhancements for BIM 360 Docs support; you can upload a file now (y). The documentation page is updated to include Docs. I myself have been waiting for this for a long time. While we are aware that this is not complete, this is a big milestone. Here is a quick summary of the current status of DM support for Docs.
Basic workflow is identical to A360 Personal Hubs and BIM 360 Team (as well as Fusion Team). A few differences are:
- Docs support 2-legged and 3-legged.
- “Hubs” is equivalent of “Accounts” in BIM 360.
- Docs requires an additional step for provisioning or activating API access in HQ.
- Look for the use of extension types, such as *:autodesk.bim360:* instead of *:autodesk.core:*
API Basics page describes extension types and data management services in detail.
Uploading a File
The workflow for uploading a file is almost the same as A360/Team. You can follow the step-by-step instruction here.
That said, there are a few things that I want to point out to successfully upload a file to Docs.
- In step 5 of the tutorial, you will need to use *:autodedsk.bim360:File instead of *:autodesk.core:File.
- In BIM 360 Docs, most users have no access to the root folder which is also not visible in the UI. You have to use the topFolders relationship to get hold of the highest folders the caller has access to.
- You can upload any file type to any folder. If you upload supported file types to the Plans folder (including rvt and pdf), then it will automatically create Documents. These appear as review documents inside Docs. They still need manual review in Docs (e.g. to check the OCR process or text extraction worked correctly) before they are generally accessible.
Known Issues and Limitations
- In some cases, the name of hubs may show a different name from the UI.
- displayName for Documents is blank. A workaround is to look under included and use type versions’ displayName.
- You will need to manually review the Plans folder for files requiring OCR process. (mentioned above).
- You cannot create a folder, yet.
For more detail about Data Management API, please take a look at API Basics page.