Update 11/5/2019: Design Automation for Revit is official now! Released on October 28, 2019.
I’m putting together a list of available materials to learn Design Automation for Revit (DA4R for short) here for easy access. I intend to update this page as more information become available.
To use DA4R, you will need to know both worlds: Revit addin as desktop development, and Forge and/or Web programming. If you are new to Revit add-in development and interested in learning, please refer to this page: www.autodesk.com/developrevit
The reference on this page focuses about running your add-in on the cloud.
- Design Automation (v3)
- Design Automation for Revit Tutorials
- Tutorials Postman Collection (accompanying above)
Code Samples on GitHub
- Window Family
- learnforge Design Automation tutorial
- Delete Walls
- Count and Delete Walls
- Export/Import Parameters to/from Excel File
- Check Models and Create BIM 360 Issues
- Inventor to Revit Family
- Custom Activity sample for AutoCAD (This is for AutoCAD. But I’m adding a link as this is a very good sample to refer to automate some tasks.)
- Local Debug Tool
To get a list of Design Automation for Revit related samples, you can also search on the GitHub page with keywords “Design Automation Revit”.
Recordings and Presentations
- AULON481 “Revit on Forge: Learn How to Run Your Revit Add-in in the Cloud”, by Mikako Harada. (AU London 2019)
- FDC324038: “Automation Workflows with the Forge Design Automation API for Revit”, by Sasha Crotty. (AU/DevCon 2019)
- DevDay Online: Design Automation, by Augusto Goncalves. March 2019.
- FDC226894: “Revit Data on Forge – How Can the Design Automation for Revit API Help Me?”, by Sasha Crotty. (AU/DevCon 2018)
Below are from AU/DevCon 2017. A bit old and there are changes in API since they are presented, but you can still get a big picture and demonstrate different use cases:
- SD125457: Design Automation: Building Web Applications with Revit Data on Forge, by Diane Christoforo. (AU/DevCon 2017)
- SD124720: The New and Expanded Forge Design Automation API, by Albert Szilvasy, Andy Akenson, and Scott Reinemann. (AU/DevCon 2017)
- Autodesk App Store – Information for Revit Developers – You can find information about AppBundle structure. If you are new to the bundle format used in the Design Automation, take a look at the table found at the bottom of the page: “3. Preparing Apps for the Store: Guidelines”.
- 2016/10/27/where-to-get-help-about-forge/ — This is for Forge and Design Automation questions
- Revit API Forum — This is for Revit API and add-in questions. Please join our large Revit API community and meet our mighty Jeremy Tammik, the king of Revit API and author of The Building Coder there. 🙂